New Directions Article Archive
Breakthroughs in Autism Research: IIT & New Directions
New Directions for Young Adults in conjunction with the International Society for Autism and the Illinois Institute of Technology College of Psychology are working together on some very exciting new research into the cognitive development of adults on the autism...
Austism Spectrum Disorder: Another Look
Among serious developmental ailments affecting children and young adults, autism is among the most common, striking about 1 in 110 individuals. The disorder is more prevalent in children than juvenile diabetes, childhood cancer and pediatric AIDS combined, and is often...
"Head Games: Reading Minds at Work and Play" by Richard Harth
Humans have a startling ability to extract meaning from words. For most, a facility with written and spoken language is second nature by adolescence. Reading people on the other hand—deciphering the non-verbal, often unconscious signals they send out—is a highly specialized talent, one that Andrew Rubin (Ph.D. PSYC ’01) has honed to an uncanny degree...
- The Transition to Adulthood is Hard Enough, But for Autistic Young Adults, There Are Many Extra Challenges
- The Role of Empathy in Caring for Autistic Young Adults
- How Early Diagnostic Improvements Can Affect Outcomes for Autistic Young Adults
- The Sad Reality of Post-High School Life for Too many Of Our Nation's Autistic Young Adults
- A Generational Malaise: Why Aren't Young Adults Grown Ups Anymore?
- How Pioneering Job Programs Could Lead to New Opportunities for Autistic Young Adults
- A Day in the Life of a 30 Year Old Man with Autism
- Three Steps You Can Take to Help Your Autistic Young Adult Transition to Independence
- How Some Young Adults Build Traps That Keep Them Locked to the Couch
- Why Is There Confusion About Whether or Not Conditions Such as Asperger Syndrome Should Be Included in the Autism Spectrum Disorder Category?
- Crippled by Indecision: Why Some Young Adults Can't Get Off the Couch and Get On With Their Lives
- Is "Emerging Adulthood" Just a Blanket Term to Give Lazy Adults a Pass on Acting in an Immature Way?
- Is the Media Complicit in Creating the Couchbound Manchild?
- What Are Some of the Common Characteristics that Unite Young Adults Who Fail to Leave the Home "On Schedule"?
- How A German Software Company is Leading the Way to Find Creative Ways to Employ Autistic Adults
- Is Failure to Launch A New Problem? Searching History for Examples of Arrested Development
- Young Adults May Act Like An Old Dog By Resisting New Tricks, But a Few Smart Ideas Can Build Their Sense of Independence
- What King of Jobs Can Autistic Young Adults Get?
- There's Not A Rulebook For Getting Your Kids Out of the House: How a Clinical Approach to Failure to Launch May Benefit Floundering Young Adults
- Autism and The Machine: Better Communication Through Circuitry
- Rising Autism Awareness Means Special Kids Don't Have to Slip Through the Cracks
- Oxytocin, The Love Hormone, May Influence Social Development in Autism
- The Question 'What is Autism' Yields Evolving Answers
- Helping Young Adults With Asperger's Land a Job
- Understanding The Noise Surrounding Jenny McCarthy and Autism: Protecting Your Child From Disease
- Understanding The Risks Of Homeopathic Treatments
- What Happens When Your Kid Has Autism?
- A New Discovery In The Origin of Autism
- Autistic Boy Trapped In His Own Mind Finds Freedom
- People With Autism Have A Different Way Of Seeing The World
- Coming of Age: Autism and Young Adults
- New Directions for Young Adults with Autism
- What Young Adults Hear All The Time: Should They Listen?
- Finding A Path To Independence
- New Non-Profit Aims To Help Those With Autism Find Jobs
- 6 Talented Children Who Became Highly Successful Young Adults
- U2's New Album is Not What Most iPhone Users Were Looking For
- Study Finds Autism Less Common In Some Ethnic Groups
- New Study Suggests Children Born Too Close Together Face Increased Risk Of Autism
- Supplements During Pregnancy May Reduce Risk Of Autism
- Alumni Spotlight: Andrew S. Rubin
- A Mother's Love: Finding My Daughter
- Are Street Drugs a Viable Treatment for Depression?
- New Autism Study Shows Possible In-Utero Brain Damage
- Hope Of Normalcy: Asbergers Sufferers Can Learn To Be More Social
- The Emerging Trend In Adderall Use That Many Teens Swear By
- Failure To Launch: Are You Enabling Your Adult Child?
- The Stigma of Mental Health: Why We Blame Ourselves